Re: [IP] Re: Square for Fattening foods

> >Do we have someone who reads this e-mail that has extensive knowledge on
> >how we should handle
> >fat vs carbs before we all get in trouble.

For most foods this is not a big concern. There are a few, however,
that cause difficulty for almost everyone. Pizza, mac & cheese, and
chinese come to mind immediately.

Pizza from a pizza parlor contains an enormous amount of both fat and
protein. The fat slows down digestion and the protein digest slowly
over the next 4-5 hours and releases glucose as it's digestion
product (among others). Freezer pizza (from the supermarket), on the
other hand, contains far less fat an protein and behaves very
differently. mac & cheese and chinese can behave in a similar manner.
Each requiring additional insulin over time or the use of a square or
split bolus.

There is no standard way to handle any of these. You must use trial
and error for each food type and for each source of the food since
there are no standards for preparation. It's not as bad as it sounds.
One or two meals with good bg testing afterwards will provide you
with the information necessary to adjust the bolus amount and
duration. Test every hour or two for 5-6 hours after one of these
'events' and you will have the data you need.