[IP] Re: hospital stay

 In a message dated 7/16/2003 1:16:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Another way to handle this is to prepare with your doctor a head of time
> that you will slightly decrease the basal rate just prior to surgery and
> have a coverage scale and blood sugars taken every 2 hours in the
> recovery room and on the floor until you are with it enough to deal with
> your bs. If they insist on dripping 5% dextrose ask to have
> it
> discontinued once surgery is over.

 That, too is a good idea. IF my pump doctor was anywhere near the hospital
where I was treated. He practices in Orlando, and I'm about an hour away. I have
a difficult time getting ALL my doctors to understand all my problems. I try to
keep them all informed, but sometimes that isn't enough.