RE: [IP] Hospital stay

Marsha

Another way to handle this is to prepare with your doctor a head of time
that you will slightly decrease the basal rate just prior to surgery and
have a coverage scale and blood sugars taken every 2 hours in the
recovery room and on the floor until you are with it enough to deal with
your bs. If they insist on dripping 5% dextrose ask to have it
discontinued once surgery is over.

Some hospitals don't like to depend on a husband even though he is fully
able and capable to handle the situation.

Gail Donohue

I do have a reminder for
EVERY
pumper, though.  PLEASE make sure that you either educate your family or
have
written instructions for staff in case you are medicated and can't make
your
 own adjustments. My husband knows how to operate the pump, but had no
idea how
many units to bolus for the high sugars that I had post op.  He knows
now and
it's listed with specific instructions on my list of medications that I
always carry.    Marsha