[IP] Re: Crazy Herbal Remedy

This is NOT medical advice! The following information should be taken
with a grain of salt, so to speak.

   I did a quick search and came up with a little info. "Hilba" is
 From   http://www.egregore.com/herbs/Methi.htm

"A study in India involving insulin-dependent diabetics on low doses of
insulin, pulverized fenugreek seeds were shown to reduce blood sugar and
other harmful fats. The authors of the study suggest adding fenugreek
seeds to the diets of diabetics."

"Insulin-dependent diabetics should seek professional medical advice
before using fenugreek as a hypoglycemic."

*"**Decoction:* use 2 tsp. seed with 1 cup cold water; let stand for 5
hours. Then heat and boil for 1 minute. Take 2 or 3 cups per day.
Improve the taste with peppermint oil, lemon extract, honey, or sugar."

>From   http://www.anagen.net/fenuin.htm

"* stimulates the *pancreas* and aids *digestion"*

"* *antihyperglycemic* - affects endocrine system and hormone function
due to its ability to reduce or control high blood sugar, which is
predominantly the responsibility of the pancreas. The powder of the seed
indeed *regulates diabetes* in advanced age. This *antihyperglicemic*
action is interesting *against acne* which is caused by an excess of
sugars in follicules causing a growth of patogenic germs."

Apparently your pharmacist isn't just making up stories, but I cannot
vouch for the validity of his statements. As far as not having an excuse
not to try it anymore...YES you do have one! If you don't want to, then
that should be good enough reason right there. It's your body, your
health, (and your tastebuds, too) not the pharmacist's. Don't let him
bully you. I've heard the seeds aren't bad in salads, though.

Mom to JayJay, age 5
Dx'd @ 11 mos.
Pumping with "Zero"