[IP] severe hypos due to alcohol

Hi Deanna,

I had one 18 years ago, but it may as well have happened last week--the
terrible memory is so etched in my brain.  I was 23 years old at the time,
my new marriage was NOT going well and we were separated; I decided to drown
my sorrows with rum and coke, but used *diet* coke to be a "good diabetic".

At 7AM the next morning, when I was unable to wake up enough to treat the
hypo, I lost consciousness, had a grand mal brain seizure, and woke up in
the hospital with "scrambled brains".  It took over a week for my memory to
be mostly restored.

BTW, when the brain is deprived of glucose, just like when it's deprived of
oxygen, it CAN cause brain damage!

My doctor suggested that if I ever did that again (which he did not
recommend), to use sugared coke instead of diet coke (however, the smell of
rum still makes me feel violently ill, so that will not be a problem!).

I do NOT recommend this!!! <:~)

Lisa Mattox
Type I 27 years, Animas Pumper 1 year