[IP] Re:Carrying old reservoirs for emergencies

In a message dated 12/07/2003 5:02:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Five years ago, when I was being trained in pumping, the CDE told me a
> lot of Disetronic users carry their old reservoirs, that still have
> some remaining insulin, as their emergency backup source of insulin.  I
> assumed she was referring to the glass cartridges.  I don't remember
> every seeing mention of that on this list -- does anybody do it?

Yes, I have done this.  I usually leave about 70 units in our glass
cartridges, which gets thrown out.   It just makes it easier than changing the
 reservoir before the site change is due. Claire ran out of insulin once when it
 appeared there was still a good bit in the glass cartridge, but it seemed that
 couldn't be pushed out when it was down to a low level, so I don't want that to
happen again.  So that extra bit left in the cartridge is a handy thing to
carry around with you when you are away or travelling.

I'm not sure how much of a difference glass and plastic makes.  I always
 thought the glass kept the insulin better, but others have said that isn't
If you use plastic, why don't you order glass next time?  In 27 months I have
only broken one by dropping it on the tile floor.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9