[IP] Carrying old reservoirs for emergencies

Five years ago, when I was being trained in pumping, the CDE told me a
lot of Disetronic users carry their old reservoirs, that still have
some remaining insulin, as their emergency backup source of insulin.  I
assumed she was referring to the glass cartridges.  I don't remember
every seeing mention of that on this list -- does anybody do it?

I try to carry usable insulin in my purse, with syringes.  Since I have
had very little need for it, I do tend to get careless about replacing
the insulin.  (Not every vial has anything remaining after filling the
last reservoir, which is usually my source).  I'm trying to figure out
which would be better -- the at least month-old vial (substantially
older by the time it's replaced), or a week-old plastic reservoir, into
which I've drawn back the insulin from the tubing.  The reservoir could
be replaced every week (-ish).

In other words, how does insulin degradation in the plastic compare
with degradation in original glass container over a longer time period?
  Is there anything else besides loss of potency that I should worry
about from the plastic?

Linda Z