Re: [IP] Diabetes funk (long)

<<  DM is part of you.
Not taking care of it, there will be no you, or a sorry you.  >>

Adriana, what Linda said above is so true!   I might not be a diabetic, but
as the mom of one who diagnosed when he turned 3, I know the extreme
importance of taking care of his diabetes.

I've seen first hand what lack of care can do to a Diabetic.    My cousin
was diagnosed in 1954 when she turned 3.    Doctors called her a brittle
diabetic.    She was either in severe insulin reaction because she'd decided
not to eat when she should have,  or she was unconcious from being sky high!
All she had was urine strips to check her blood sugars.    And weekly trips
to the Doctor to get glucose readings done by the lab.    She was always
300+  for those tests.

Then she decided to marry when she turned 18 and live a more carefree life
with her new hubby.     That meant leaving her mothers watchful eye and
giving herself worse care then ever before.     By the time she was 21 she
was totally blind.    Then her kidneys started failing.    The month after
turned 25 she was dead from organ failure.

Just think of how much longer she could have lived with the modern
technology we (YOU) have available to use.    Your life is special~~~
and you only live once.

Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (13 1/2,  Dx 2/93, 508 2/02,
Paradigm  8/16/02,  and now ANIMAS IR1000  3/18/03 ) --------and MaMa to
Jennifer (turning 21 this summer), Allison (18), Rachel (7)
Fenton, MO