[IP] Re: Leaving cannulas in place

>>> I do think that you have to be careful about
infections, but it is up to us to each know their own body.
<snip> It can depend on the type of insulin, the type
of set, or even which insulin is used with which set and where it was put
what phase the moon is in right now. >>>

I started out with Lilly Regular beef/pork insulin in my CPI/Lilly pumps
with the straight needle we bent ourselves. After a couple of infections I
was switched to Velosulin, a pure pork insulin. Awhile after that, Nordisk
(not Novo yet) then decided to add a buffering to it and it became Velosulin
BR - still pure pork. This was okayed for use in pumps to avoided
occlusions. Then, the Velosulin BR Human was released and I used that until
'98 when I was put on Humalog. I began using SofSets in '92.

Sooooo, I have had various and sundry varieties of insulin and sets and
still I do a changeout every 4-5 days. It is definitely a YMMV thingy.

Oh, yeah, I also reuse my reservoirs and any leftover insulin I put the
filler needle back on and draw more into the reservoir to be used
immediately. When I was hospitalized for pump start (7 days) one of the
first things I was taught was to recap and save that filler needle cuz you
didn't know when you'd need it again. It has been very difficult for me
throw them away cuz you never know when I'll need 100 or so of them. ;-)

I also reuse my lancets and change religiously 4x a year when George reminds
us - if I get around to it. Alcohol swabs get folded and placed back into
their env. with the top folded over for reuse.

Frugal is my middle name - YMMV

P.S. - gail d. - I figured someone would pounce on that 15-yr site statement
so I hurried up and added the 4-5 days! LOL