Re: [IP] Re: Leaving cannulas in place

In a message dated 7/11/2003 12:53:14 PM Alaskan Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> term, but see problems later.>>>
> And Jan asked:
> >I have been leaving my canula in place for about 15
> >yrs now - changing every 4-5 days. When will I start
> >seeing these problems?

This is definitely a YMMV thing. I do think that you have to be careful about
infections, but it is up to us to each know their own body.

My last set was in for 6 days, and I finally changed it just cause. This is
longer than I usually go, which is more like 3-4 days. Sometimes I have to
 change after one day. My body will tell me what it needs. If the site is itchy,
pink, tender, or hard, It says it is not happy, and I change.

This last site is healing/has healed much faster and better than some spots
that had an insertion for only one day, and boy does my body like to scar ! So
it is definitely a YMMV thing. It can depend on the type of insulin, the type
of set, or even which insulin is used with which set and where it was put and
what phase the moon is in right now.

I think the recommendation of changing a site every three days is okay. I
 mean, physicians have a moral obligation to make recommedations/prescribed
and the FDA requires manufactuers to use expiration dates and user
 guidelines. Think about the fact that some people have to change a set almost
daily, and
others can go an easy 5 days. 1+5= 6 which makes the average = 3, so they
recommend 3 days. <grin> It is back to that icky ole math. (Plus they can make
more money if you change more often).

Okay, want to talk chocolate and the amount of recommended daily consumption?
Hhmm, think it is time to go shopping. Tina