Re: [IP] The Paradigm 512 and angry people

On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 12:59  PM, Ryan Bruner wrote:
> Okay, concerning the 176 unit max size.  I've been using the Paradigm
> 511 with an average daily use of insulin of 60 units/day.  Sure, it
> would be nice if it lasted longer...but the fact of the matter is, the
> MEDICAL recommendations for maximum time leaving in a site is 2 1/2 to
> 3 days.  The fact that many pumpers have gotten used to leaving it in
> much longer just means you are going against medical advice.  (Whether
> that advice is valid or not is another discussion).

The reason the Paradigm has such a small reservoir is that Minimed
developed this pump to use a more concentrated insulin, (U-200 I
believe).  When the drug was not approved MM was stuck with a ton of R&D
cost as well as a huge amount of pumps.  The way I see the whole
Paradigm debacle is that MM is "forcing" the Paradigm onto their loyal
customers, and that is where disappointment comes from.  Yes, I do go
longer than the "recommended" 3 days.  However this is definitely a YMMV
issue, as you point out.
> I'd like to challenge people to an old addage:  If you don't have
> anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!  :-)

I'm afraid that I must disagree with you on this point in this
situation.  In a social setting this is certainly appropriate, however
here we are talking about large sums of money, and our personal well
being.  This is business.

I have great respect for the engineers and researchers at MM, however I
will never upgrade my trusty (bare bones) 507 to a Paradigm.  Most
likely my next pump will be a Cozmo.

As we say in the Green Mountain State; Let's keep it civil, we're all in
this together.
Frank W. Tegethoff, Jr.
IDDM since '85, MM507 since '98