[IP] Re: Diabetes Funk

Adriana, I know what you mean about being in a funk, and being so busy I
 don't want to think about my diabetes. I go through them every so often myself
and am in a bit of one now--although my funks are more often because I'm
frustrated with diabetes or life in general, I think it's pretty similar.

I actually do have to change my sites every 3-4 days--I notice itchiness and
higher blood sugars whenever I go over three days.  But to remember to do
 it--one suggestion I have (although, bear in mind as you're reading this, it is
just one more thing to do, so this may not work for you) is something I did
 while I was taking a bunch of medications and had to take them 2-3
 meal times, supposedly, but at the time my life was pretty erratic and I missed
meals here and there).  In my daytimer I would just make checkmarks every
 time I took the med, and would also make a big checkmark on the day I changed
site.  I was a new pumper at the time and trying to do everything
 "perfect"--so even though I wasn't experiencing many problems by not changing
till the 4th
or 5th day, I didn't want to mess anything up either.  That helped me a lot.

Someone else (don't remember who) wrote that not taking care of your diabetes
means there will be no you--that person is right, and I remind myself of that
whenever I'm in one of these funks.  My problem is usually that I'll think to
test, and then think, "Oh, I'll do it later," or "I know it's ok, I'm not
 going to worry about it because I need to get this other thing done." But over
many years I've just had too many times where I thought it was ok and it
 wasn't, and I paid the price with a bad insulin reaction or a really high
that made me feel more tired.  And once I don't test once, it's kind of a
 snowball and I end up going a while without testing. That always ends up badly
me.  I've tried to make a habit of testing whenever I think about it, in case
I do get so busy that I don't think about it again for several hours.

Another thing that helps me is that my monitor only takes about 15 seconds to
get a reading, which includes me getting the stuff out (if my purse isn't too
bad of a train wreck), pricking my finger, and waiting 5 seconds for the
reading.  That has helped me immensely because it is so quick, so that may be
something to consider if yours takes longer.

Good luck.  It is very time-consuming to be a diabetic, and it's especially
maddening when other things or people are demanding your time.  I just try to
remember that keeping the habit of taking care of it is a lot easier than
having to relearn that habit all over again.  Good luck with school, too.