[IP] Re: Paradigm "upgradable"

I think you're missing something.  The idea is that in order for the
pump to support giving 1 unit of U-200 insulin, it would ACTUALLY have
to deliver the EQUIVILENT of .05 units of U-100 insulin.  In other
words, if the pump were using U-200 insulin, and you told it to give
you 1 unit of insulin, it would actually deliver .5 ul.  That means
that the motor is capable of delivering insulin to that level of
resolution.  So, in you use U-100 insulin, it is capable of
delivering .05 units of insulin.  If you use U-50, then it is capable
of delivering .025 units of insulin.

So, it is simply a matter of a software change to support the .05 unit
resolution in the pump because the motor can handle it.

Now, concerning the existance of U-200.  I read an interview on-line
that made it sound like there was GOING to be (or is in the works) an
attempt to get FDA approval for a U-200 insulin for pump use.  It might
be possible that MM was trying to get ahead of the game by designing a
pump that could handle this (which might also explain the smaller
resoivoir size) new insulin.  But, I also found some medical studies
that were done using U200 and U500 insulins, so perhaps U200 insulin IS
available for non-consumer use at this time.