Re: [IP] overweight and Diabetic

On 7/10/03 11:00 AM, "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted> Demonstrated
stellar typing skills by writing:

> Hi,
> Do any of the women here, have Grave's Disease plus being Diabetic and how
> has it affected your weight.
> I have gained a total of 80lbs additional lbs since being diagnosed 16 years
> ago with diabetes and 12 years ago with the Thyroid problem ever since I have
> gradually gained plus I have 3 kids.  I have had tried all diets and cannot
> get the weight off, and I want to so badly.
> I feel its the thyroid not helping and of course the diabetes.  I have pretty
> good control over the diabetes but the weight does not go away.
> Any suggestions.

Get the thyroid re-evaluated. Grave's dz is USUALLY a hyperactive thyroid,
and when *I* had that (YMMV!) I was eating close to 3-4,000 cals a DAY and
still in a size 12. At 3'8, and weighed in at 160 lbs. My BG's were all over
the place and I felt 'hupo' because of the thyroid storms. This might also
be motivating you to eat when you shouldn't?

I also had intolerance to warm rooms, hear palps and sweats, bugged out eyes
and shakes.

Once they have ascertained it IS grave's and not hashimoto's get thee to
your endo for some REAL treatment of this.

BTW Beta blockers to quell the thyroid storms did NOT work for me, and
perhaps this might be an issue with you as well, if you're on those.

I had my thyroid nuked and now take a tiny .175 mg tablet a day. I can't eat
like I used to and have to consciously push away from the table, but I have
a normal life where I feel great now.

-- --Hammered Dulcimer Players never Fret!

AOL-IM: Wyldceltic1

Jenny Sutherland