Re: [IP] Re: Paradigm "upgradable"

   Your points are well taken, but what we don't (and probably never
will) know is how much of the system resources of the 511 are currently
used.  The code for the wizards and the other new features of the 512
are going to require a signigicant (as far as embedded systems go)
amount of storage.  I hope that Medtronic had the foresight to build the
511's with enough memory to handle future upgrades.  If that is indeed
the case, then $450 sounds like an awful lot of money to upgrade a
firmware image, which by my experience is a process that usually takes
less than two minutes.

   Please don't get me wrong on this thread, I'm not trying to bash
Medtronic.  The propeller-headed geek in me is just trying to figure out
how the upgrade procedure is going to work.  The way I see it there are
two possible methodologies:

1:  Existing 511's get new guts and a new nameplate.  The $450 covers
the cost of  admin and manufacturing of the new circuit boards.  R&D
costs get rolled-in to revenue generated by new pump sales.

2:  Existing 511's get firmware upgrade and a new nameplate.  The $450
goes to cover the admin costs and R&D.

  Perhaps someone from Medtronic could post to the group and clear the

Bob, pumping with the DTron+, 2/2003