[IP] Re: Paradigm "upgradable"

Someone was laughing at MM's claim that the Paradigm was the
only "upgradable" pump.

I'd like to point out that ALL of the features that are contained in
the new Paradigm 512 are simply SOFTWARE changes.  No hardware changes
are necessary.

The 511 pump already has the RF ability. It is what makes the remote
work. The same RF receiver will work with the meter to receive the
meter information.  Such a change does NOT require any change to the RF
receiver, only the software for it.

The 512's bolus wizard, etc, also is only software enhancements to the
current 511 interface.

Basically the $450 price tag to upgrade to the new Paradigm is really
only a software upgrade.  Now, they MAY have made some changes to the
512 hardware for other reasons...but all of the new features will work
in the 511 pump as well, since it is just software.

And, the bolus wizard, etc., won't take up any noticable amount of
battery power, since, again, it is software.  However, if you don't
currently use the remote, then enabling the RF for the meter use WILL
increase battery usage

I'm still flabberghasted at all the negativity about this