Re: [IP] Future Victims of Pump Failure

At 09:10 PM 7/8/03 -0700, you wrote:
 >I am concerned about the welfare of future newly diagnosed diabetics
 >who are lucky enough to be able to acquire one of the new pumps (Cozmo,
 >512, and whatever else comes along) right away. Unless these people get
 >a good, thorough education they will not be prepared to handle the
 >calculations normally done by their pump.

The way I look at it the answer is simple.  In my world, you're not allowed
to go out on a boat until you know how to swim.  I think most doctors look
at using a pump in the same way.

Anyway, the pump doesn't magically come up with these numbers; it just does
the math.  You have to program it first with your insulin to high bg ratio,
insulin to carb ratio, insulin duration, target bg range, and
basals.  Plus, you still have to do the carb counting.  Once you've figured
all that out, I think you've been pretty well educated.