Re: [IP] Lots of Questions

Kathleen -
 Only you (and maybe your doctor) can decide for sure that you are a good
candidate, but here's some imput to think about. The pump gives you greater
flexibility. I'm a research scientist and often lunch has to wait because my
experiments won't. I've never eaten a meal at the same time two days in a row.
Also, when I exercise, I can turn down my basal rates to keep from going low -
preventing eating out of them which does sort of defeat the purpose. When your
giving yourself injections, once you take that insulin you can't get it back. My
biggest downfall with my pump is that I'm more likely to give into temptation
from time to time. It's alot easier to bolus alittle extra for that piece of
cake than decide if it's worth an extra insulin injection. I've never had better
control, and my last A1c was under 6. I think that it's the best they have to
offer those of us who were "lucky" enough to get this crazy disease. Finally,
I've never met anyone who didn't tell me that!
  it was
 the best thing that they ever did.  Just my 2 cents worth.
- Amy
diagnosed 12/01
paradigm since 7/02

Kathleen Weaver <email @ redacted> wrote:

How do you know if you are a good candidate?

I was diagnosed with diabetes in September (2002). They put me on
glucophage, which made me nuts, because the blood sugar wasn't going down
and what I did, exercise, food, etc. had no effect. I basically felt my
blood sugar monitor was a random number generator. Plus the sypmthoms:
blurred vision, mood swings -- mostly anger though weren't going away.
However, I did lose weight and have lots more energy.

My doctor then took me off glucophage, and on insulin. Blood sugar got
under control and the sympthoms disappeared. I could see exactly what food,
exercise, etc. was doing to my body. However, gained the weight back. And
now, no matter what I do, can't lose. Also fighting lots of food craving.
And low energy back. But things were under control. Went from using 38
units of 75/25 twice a day to 28 units twice a day.

Then summer came (I'm a class room teacher), and the change routine produced
lots of swings. Also went through two surgeries (Carpel Tunnel).
Especially lots of lows, and having to eat to get rid of them.

I did convince the doctor to add glucophage back -- over a week ago, and
went to twice a day. I've flattened out, and am not getting the lows, lost
a bit of the weight gain from the last surgery when I couldn't exercise.
And I feel better. The good news is I'm down to 20 units twice a day

The biggest thing I want to avoid is lows. I get them a lot when I
exercise -- I typically use an ellipical trainer (cross between treadmill
and stepper for those who don't know them) or treadmill. I frequently have
to cut workouts short (20-30 minutes instead of 45-60), because of the lows,
or have to do sugar. Yes, and I eat before I work out a lot, which helps,
but is kind of defeating the purpose.

Do you Yahoo!?