[IP] Re: integrated pump rant/Diabetes-by-number?

At 05:47 AM 7/8/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>big fat hairy deal on the new MNMD gizmo......For god's sake, the ONLY way we
>are going to get perfect blood sugars is IF WE AREN"T DIABETIC!  I RESENT the
>implication that it is MY fault when my blood sugars aren't "optimal" because
>I made a MATH mistake!  Does this new gadget take into account the fact
>that...

SSP,

You said it all! And, by the way, I love your posts and always look for
them, every rant, capital letter, off-color remark...you're one smart girl.
I couldn't agree more with you and Len. Yeah, I can do the math in my head;
that's the easy part! But for me, knowing how much to bolus and what my
basals should be that day isn't a set algorithm, one perfect carb-counting
ratio, an exquisitely-tested permanent set of basal rates. Gee, if that was
it, I guess I could get one of those fancy new pump-meter things and have
perfect BGs every day. But I live in a very changeable and sensitive HUMAN
BODY, not an expensive robot. I guess every meal dose by thinking about the
amount and qualities of the food and, more importantly, looking at my day,
activity, stress, fatigue level, mood, health, weather, number of
highs/lows lately. An algorithm would just get me in trouble. A
sophisticated guess is far, far better for me. My basals are affected by
all of the above, by the stress level or activity level of the whole day,
and the all-important PMS factor. So I set them up for the day, every day,
pretty much. This is my integrated system:
1. my trusty no-bells-and-whistles MM507C, obediently following my instructions
2. about ten tests a day on a meter that keeps averages for me, as I refuse
to write things down (I've never liked that TS Eliot quote about measuring
life in coffee spoons)
3. acupuncture and yoga and good whole foods diet to keep my body's OWN
system integrated, more predictable and consistent
4. MY BRAIN, honed by 25 years of research into how to keep THIS diabetic
running smoothly.
I'll never find a device that can do it better, and that's OK...I'll keep
doing it like this until a genuine closed-loop system or a cure comes
along. (Just hope my body doesn't outlive my mind, but that's a topic for
another day.)

Laura G