[IP] Lots of Questions

How do you know if you are a good candidate?

I was diagnosed with diabetes in September (2002).  They put me on
glucophage, which made me nuts, because the blood sugar wasn't going down
and what I did, exercise, food, etc. had no effect.  I basically felt my
blood sugar monitor was a random number generator.  Plus the sypmthoms:
blurred vision, mood swings -- mostly anger though weren't going away.
However, I did lose weight and have lots more energy.

My doctor then took me off glucophage, and on insulin.  Blood sugar got
under control and the sympthoms disappeared.  I could see exactly what food,
exercise, etc. was doing to my body.  However, gained the weight back.  And
now, no matter what I do, can't lose.  Also fighting lots of food craving.
And low energy back.  But things were under control.  Went from using 38
units of 75/25 twice a day to 28 units twice a day.

Then summer came (I'm a class room teacher), and the change routine produced
lots of swings.  Also went through two surgeries (Carpel Tunnel).
Especially lots of lows, and having to eat to get rid of them.

I did convince the doctor to add glucophage back -- over a week ago, and
went to twice a day.  I've flattened out, and am not getting the lows, lost
a bit of the weight gain from the last surgery when I couldn't exercise.
And I feel better.  The good news is I'm down to 20 units twice a day

The biggest thing I want to avoid is lows.  I get them a lot when I
exercise -- I typically use an ellipical trainer (cross between treadmill
and stepper for those who don't know them) or treadmill.  I frequently have
to cut workouts short (20-30 minutes instead of 45-60), because of the lows,
or have to do sugar.  Yes, and I eat before I work out a lot, which helps,
but is kind of defeating the purpose.