[IP] Re: big whup indeed (a rant) (another rant)

>a rant, so if you are easily offended or generally don't like what I
>write....take heed and hit delete NOW.....you have been warned.....

This is a rant about the rant... ;-)

I must say that I'm surprised by the level of "big whup"edness on this
board.  The entire time I've been hear, people have been talking about
how they can't wait for a system that does pretty much what this system
is doing, and now it is here.  Sure, it isn't exactly revolutionary.
But, to say it isn't a major step forward is ignoring many facts.

1. Calculating boluses is NOT an easy chore for MOST people.  Sure,
some people can do it in their sleep...but many cannot.  Children, in
particularly, would have trouble with it.

On top of that, even if the math isn't hard, it is level of work that
doesn't need to be done.  I use my Logbook DM program to perform all my
calculations for me.  I may adjust the final result based on additional
information, but mostly, I use it to calculate it.  Why?  Because it
can do it a LOT faster and more accurately than I can without having to
look up information.  For example, calculating unused insulin is not
something most of us can just do in our sleep...and even if you have a
chart, you have a larger margin of error than a software can calculate.

2. Such a system will improve logging of information.  Unless someone
is very diligent, as many undoubtedly are...for the majority of people,
logging all the information is not done whole-heartedly.  Such a system
will ensure that all boluses and BG levels are logged, at least to some

3. It really IS the FIRST step toward a closed-loop system.  A pump
alone is completely open ended.  A meter alone is completely open
ended.  By finally making the meter communicate with the pump, the loop
is beginning to close.

4. So what if some of the language is for advertising purposes???  The
fact is, the pump companies have to sell pumps to make money.  They
have to make money to make improvements and perform more research,
etc.  They have to make improvements and perform research to improve
OUR quality of life with the new advances.  Sure, it is a long
haul...but let's be GLAD that it's being done at all, not irate that it
is taking too long!

I look forward to the day that my own Logbook DM software becomes
obsolete.  FOr now, it is a whole lot easier to accurately bolus using
software than to do it myself, even if I'm perfectly capable to do it
myself.  I can calculate my insulin requirements in less than 10
seconds once I've performed my BG test.  That includes entering data!
When I did it by hand, it took much longer (especially with ratios that
I have, such as 1 unit for every 9.5 g of carbs, and 1 unit for every
42 mg/dL over 100), AND it was never as accurate.

So, please, stop ranting about improvements and let's be thankful for
them!  Even if it doesn't help you, it will help a LOT of people.