[IP] blood in tubing

I had a traumatic sunday; traumatic emotionally but not too bad physically.

I woke up 2 am with a low of 61.  I had four fig newtons, followed by 4
oz juice when I was still 80 40 minutes later.

I woke up around 10 am at 495.  Being the 'stupid' me (I haven't had a
bad site in a very long time) I assumed it was a rebound/liver dumped
glucose high.  I bolused, ate a scone on the way to church.  Got back
from church and took a nap (yes, okay, so I was sleeping a lot that
weekend :P  I'm not always that much of a slacker).

Anyhoo, but 2 pm my meter couldn't read me anymore (HI) and given how
much insulin it took to recover, I suspect I was around 800.  Now the
good news is that I wasn't dropping but trace/small amts of ketones, was
well hydrated and did not get sick (re: nauseous or throw up) in
treating myself with injections.

I woke up this morning at 138.  (It took most of yesterday to get myself
down as I take it slow when treating highs, testing and injecting every
2 hours or so).

The weird thing in retrospect was that
1.  when I disconnected, there was no backup of insulin
2.  there was blood in the line which seemed to move around in the
tubing depending on how it was held
3.  there was no occlusion alarm
4.  there was no signs of crystallization, nor was there a bent catheter.

I thought it was impossible to have stuff 'backflow' into the pump - the
whole vacuum concept.  Can anyone help explain how the pump could have
had a siphoning effect?  Is it just like with a water system, in that
with too low of water pressure, youcan get backflow?

Just curious :)