[IP] How many basal rates?

In a message dated 7/6/2003 6:13:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> 6 different basals is too much.  Nobody really needs more than 4.  You're
> just fooling yourself if you think that many basals is helping.  Too many
> variables.

That is one way to look at it, but there are definitely pumpers for whom
 making a basal rate change of even .05 uph for a block of 6 hours would
NOT work . . .

Our endo (at pump start) recommended using basal periods of 2, 3, or 4 hours
-- depending on the time of the day and the pumper's schedule, etc.  She said
that (especially for kids who are pretty sensitive to small changes in basal
dosages) dealing with smaller blocks made it easier to fine tune basal rates
and lets you do fasting basal tests over shorter periods, too (which again is
easier on kids and easier to test each period several times).

She's put a lot of kids on pumps and pretty much nailed Katie's basal profile
right off the bat with only a couple of tweaks the first 2-3 days, so that
gave me a lot of faith in her approach.  Over the next two years after pump
start, as Katie has moved full on into puberty, we've found that making
 adjustments over smaller time periods has continued to be the way that works
for us.
 She currently has 8 basal periods -- some of which are currently the same uph
back to back -- though those same basal periods have been quite different
dosages at other times, depending on her needs.

It makes me thankful that pumps now have so much more programming flexibility
. . . Diabetes can act so differently from one person to another that it's
great to have tools that allow adjustment to those individual needs . .  .

Pumpmama to Katie (12) happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis" since