Re: [IP] "immune" to the effects of insulin - and be up a creek?

 >> Question: On a MM 508 for 2 years now, Wifey says that I should NOT
use the pump as a crutch. Eat anything, and just bolus for it. She says the
insulin will work
for a while, but then I will become "immune" to the effects of insulin - and
be up a the creek?
  Any truth to this? <<

>Tom Beatson: You can tell your wife that I have used insulin every day for
years. My current TDD is 33-37 units (on a MM 508), which I consider to
be a very normal value and not at all suggestive of immunity. >

Ummmmm - if insulin isn't a *crutch* - what is it? I lean on it's abilities
(52.5 yrs) to keep me alive and lower my BGs. Without this crutch, I'd be up
that creek, and worse. Insulin lowers the glucose as a result of
carbohydrates ingested. They need to match. If you take too much for what
you eat, you'll crash. If you don't take enough for what you eat, you'll go
high. Eat what/when you want and bolus sufficiently - doesn't sound like a
crutch to me. It sounds like good sense. YMMV

The tree that leans is not always the first to fall