re: [IP] Visual changes with better BG?

>Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 14:59:48 -0600
>From: "Laura Shapiro" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Visual changes with better BG?

>Anyone know if one week (and I mean one week only) of better BG control can
>result in visual problems with my prescriptions? I'm on a new pump and all
>numbers are way down, but suddenly my contacts and glasses are not working >
too good.

I found this article..not sure if it will answer your specific question:
Giusti C.
Transient hyperopic refractive changes in newly diagnosed juvenile diabetes.
Swiss Med Wkly 2003;133:200-205.

Full text here: (search diabetes and then when you get to this article, click
on the pdf link http://www.smw.ch/set_current.html)

Abstract here:
Purpose: To investigate transient hyperopic refractive changes in newly
diagnosed juvenile diabetics and to evaluate their clinical course after
intensive glycemic control of severe hyperglycaemia.
      Methods: 20 hyperopic adolescents with newly diagnosed and
uncomplicated type 1 diabetes, selected for this prospective study, were
enrolled for a
baseline examination and, after starting intensive insulin treatment, followed
every two weeks during a four-month follow up. Standardised automated
refraction and A-mode ultrasonography were performed. Poor metabolic control
was an
inclusion criteria.
      Results: Refractive changes and hyperopic peaks preceded the start of
the intensive insulin therapy in all diabetics and, therafter, refraction
decreased gradually with a maximum recovery time of 94 days. A statistically
significant positive correlation between refractive changes and magnitude of
glucose concentrations as well as HbA1c percentages was observed (P <0.001).
No significant modifications in the explored refractive
components were recorded.
      Conclusions: Transient hyperopic changes are highly dependent on the
magnitude of plasma glucose concentrations and rapid correction of
is strictly correlated with complete recovery of refraction. To account for
this phenomenon, the sorbitol production via the polyol pathway with
overhydration of the lens remains the best pathophysiological hypothesis at
this time.

 Institute of Ophthalmology, University "La Sapienza", Rome, Italy

Very sincerely yours,
Ellen H. Ullman ;
Mom, Advocate for children who have diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster..  <A HREF="http://www.kidsrpumping.com/">Kids R Pumping</A>
Please support funding a cure for diabetes: Diabetes Research Institute in
Miami, Florida:  <A HREF="http://www.drinet.org">http://www.drinet.org</A>

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting
to improve the world? -Anne Frank, Holocaust diarist (1929-1945)