[IP] Re: microalbumineuria / genes

SSP wrote, in part:

>>>This is NOT a bad or unusual thing.  "Most" people with diabetes are
going to
show some vascular changes after any time with diabetes (oh, all you literal
NO COMPLICATION "perfect" people shut up - you just have good genes, and I
"DID" say MOST, not all), whether it is in your eyes or kidneys or

I do believe good genes is why I am as well off as I am. My theory is the 8
years of boils, sties, and carbuncles poison that started in my body
(transferred from my stepfather's boils at the time) eventually destroyed my
pancreas. Mom just died at 87, father is alive at 88, g'father died at 93,
g'g'father died at 100, etc. I'm still the only DMer after 52.5 years. At 39
years of DM the eyeologist said since I had no sign of retinopathy, I would
get none. HA! At 43 yrs. I had a vitrectomy and *blind* (20/400 WITH
correction) for 8 months. Now my kidneys have failed. BUT, many DMers don't
even make it to 50 years alive and I did not have proper care for lots and
lots of years. I feel very fortunate that it has taken this long for me to
start dialyzing (1 year next week).

BTW, I took Vasotec (ACE) for 8 years starting around '86, and on ARBs since
then. The Captopril change was AWFUL on my system so now the ARBs (3 diff.).

The novelty of a special diet wore off at my house after about 3 wks. after
dx.  I was encouraged to eat anything I wanted - including the chocolate
cake made mostly with mayonnaise since *it won't hurt her now, it will
later.* I'm sure I ran high most of the time since I was told a few years
ago that back then I often had fruity-smelling breath.

We can try, as well as brag, to not have complications, but that's still no
guarantee. I attribute my longevity to good genes, the Lord, and my sense of
humor which is my best coping skill. YMMV!!!! I have to laugh, it's too easy
to cry at the type of an @

There are two jobs guaranteed for life: US Supreme Court Justice, Queen of