[IP] ear drops and infections

Does anyone know what you mix together to make homemade eardrops to put in
your ears if you swim a lot to help avoid ear infections?  I know it's
rubbing alcohol and something else.  Also, are diabetics more prone to ear
infections than "regular" people?  I seem to get them a lot for some reason.
Anything OTC to help with the pain or make it go away until I can get in to
a doctor?