[IP] Re: New Topic - Maintaining Control

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:50:42 EDT
From: C
Subject: Re: [IP] New Topic - Maintaining Control

In a message dated 07/02/2003 11:18:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>     Not having diabetes myself, but watching my daughter's control remain
> "stuck" in the high 8s for the past year, I'm curious what advice the
> BTDTers
> ( been there/done that) can offer to a 20-something (not living at home)
> who's
> well-aware of what she SHOULD be doing, but isn't doing it....Is this
> inevitable? Is it just another facet of the relentlessness of the
> 24/7???...if you struggled, what helped you to get back on track????....

 Although I have only been pumping for just over a year, hear me out. I
have been T1 for 34 out of 36 years on this planet. I was raised by two
great parents who taught me well on how to take care of myself. When I hit
the age of 18 or so my control started to slip. I spent less time around my
parents therefore less time under the watchful eye. I took OK care of
myself up until I was 30 or so. A1c levels never exceeded 8. I started
becoming complacent until my doctor told me to wake up. These are the words
that he used. Hi Mike good to see you again, missed you at your last
appointment. How are the kids doing? Good I replied. Do you have a picture
of them?
 I did and showed him my three boys. He then gave me a serious look and
said, do you want to be around to see there kids come into this world? I
said of course I do! He said, well you won't be unless you get yourself
focused and centered again on taking care of yourself. From that day
forward I have tested myself a minimum of 4 x's a day. A1c's are
maintaining in the mid to upper 5's, and thankfully I don't have any
complications yet.
 My point here is that we all get sick to death of having to constantly
live with this disease. It is a struggle on a daily basis to stay
motivated. I would love to be able to leave the house without towing my man
purse along with me that has my meter and pump supplies and eat pizza and
drink beer without having to deal with the results. But that day isn't here
yet, and I refuse to let this disease stop me from any of my goals. So if
you choose to live a long and healthy life, you need to live, eat and sleep
treating yourself, constantly staying alert and on top of your game.
 If a diabetic does not want to do this, then so be it and that is there
choice. My motivation for continuing to work hard is what I wake up to
every morning. My three boys.
 Perhaps there is a way for you to speak to your daughter about getting her
focus back on track so that she will realize if she doesn't, her goals in
life may not be reached or may be delayed because of complications. I am
not one who thinks that no matter what I do and how well I take care of
myself I will get hit with one or all of the complications that diabetics
are subject to. And if I do, I do. But I will know that it wasn't because I
didn't play hard in this game every day.
 Perhaps if she was able to find a fellow diabetic friend to talk to,
compete with (A1c levels), spend time with, this would help with
motivation. Perhaps there is a group that she can meet with of fellow
pumpers in her area on a monthly basis. If not encourage her to start one.
I know the group in our area has allot of older folks in it and I feel
kinda wierd when I go. Youngest guy in the group but had it the longest.
Anyhow just some thoughts.

 Michael Chambers
Spencer Press
Customer Service Representative
This Months Factoid:
Elephants are the only animal that can't jump.