[IP] Re: Language

Someone without a name, but with an e-mail address of
"email @ redacted" tried to be witty with:

>Now you are just trying to be smart and draw even
>more attention to yourself......This is totally
>unnecessary and inappropriate for the IP list.

Ya know - Sara is one of THE SMARTEST people I know.
She does not need to draw attention to herself - most
people gravitate to her naturally because of her
incredible personality.  I also find her posts some of
the few interesting ones on this list.  Since I rarely
read or post anymore, the ones I ALWAYS look for are

email @ redacted went on to say:
>Actually, any basic high school civics course would
>have taught you that the 1st Amendment applies to the
>freedom of speech against government persecution.

It's also too bad your high school civics instructor
did not understand or teach the underlying history and
subsequent Supreme Court cases further elucidating the
First Amendment or maybe you missed that day.  I take
it that you did not pursue any constitutional law
course work in your college studies.

The First Amendment says this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an
establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free
exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably
to assemble, and to petition the government for a
redress of grievances. "

Two things to pay close attention to are the use of 1)
semicolons and 2) the mention of government only
appears in the final clause.

Arguments to this Amendment have been discussed by our
U.S. Supreme Court regularly.  In fact, Sara's
expression specifically is protected under several
cases - the topic of obscenity being one of them.

The next time you want to protest against the
euthanizing of prarie dogs in Colorado, or the
budgetary cutbacks in Diabetes Research at the private
facility in your city, or speak the fact that some
people are incredibly ignorant, think about whether or
not you are protesting your government or whether you
are merely expressing your opinion to make some social
change.  The First Amendment protects you in BOTH
cases and further does not prohibit you from
publically expressing your opinion about the small
minded imbecile who was so shallow that they are
missing out on one of the most incredible women he
will ever have the opportunity to know in his

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?