[IP] Re:Disappointed in the Discovery Channel--More DM stuff that seems wrong

In a message dated 30/06/2003 6:58:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> And--does anyone know about the brain damage thing? They said several times
> that if his blood sugar wasn't raised quickly enough he could have
> irreversible brain damage.
> Sherry C

Hi Sherry,
       Claire was dx'ed at age 2, but not long before turning 3.  Two months
after dx we travelled to a major children's hospital for their diabetes
 program. One of the first things they said to me (and I was a bit shocked by
was that it was good that Claire was now 3, as the worst brain damage from
lows occurs in children under 3 years of age.  This is because the brain is
 developing rapidly at that time. Also, up to age 7, brain damage can more
occur from lows, again due to rapid brain growth in growing kids. So for the
 young (pre-school) age group the hospital recommended a target glucose level of
6-12 mmol, then after age 7, 6-10 mmol, rather than the more common 4-8 mmol
target that most people would aim for.  (Bgs two hours afte eating).
       Everyone in the town I lived in when Claire was dx'ed seemed to know
about the young child who had severe brain damage from Dm--however, this was
due to the extremely high bgs (and probably DKA) when the little guy was
 diagnosed. So sad. When we were in the hospital when Claire was dx'ed all the
 different nurses kept telling me about him. Then it seemed all my neighbours
about him as well.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9