Re: [IP] Insulin resistance and weight gain

In a message dated 7/31/02 4:04:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> IMO there's more to weight gain than just insulin resistance.  I am not
> resistant at all (I take less than 30 unit total per day) and I consume
> about 1,400 calories each day, yet I gain weight.  Very easily.  I am over
> 50 and granted I'm not as active as I was in my youth, but I've always had
> a problem with weight.  In fact, when I turned 50, I didn't change any of
> my activities, diet or insulin usage, and I gained 10 pounds.  And, no, the
> doctors tell me my thyroid is fine.  Go figure.

I use less than 30 units a day too and have gained 22 lb since I began
pumping.  Something else that I find strange....  I have been known to take
an occasional pump holiday from time to time.  Without fail I lose weight
while I'm off the pump usually 2 to 5 lb.  As soon as I put the pump back on,
I start to gain the weight back....with no change in diet or total insulin
dosage.  And this all happens within the first day or two!  I just don't get
it and I find it very frustrating.