Re: [IP] info on complications & pregnancy (not together)?

>>>  I know there are people out there who are experiencing complications- I
would like to hear from you.  What complications you have, how long you've
had dm, what kind of control you've had, and what kinds of things one could
expect when/if they have it?  I would also like to hear from any dmers who
have had kids.  There is a book on what to expect when you're expecting, but
what can you expect when you are a diabetic and expecting?  <snip> Julie >>>

hmmmm - let's see if any of what I have to say is relevant to your
situation. Since I've dealt with this disease over a half century, some of
it is really old stuff. I was under very poor control the first three
decades since there were only pee tests (verrrrrry unreliable) and no A1c's,
or home BGs. My diet (as a kid) was not considered to be important since I'd
die anyway - let me enjoy life. I often had fruity-smelling breath and that
meant acetone breath which would mean ketones. High BGs were not a few
hours, but days.

Never and nonetheless, at 29 years the eyeologist told me since I had no
signs of retinopathy then, I wouldn't have any. Yep, at 43 years of DM I had
to have a vitrectomy. Vision is great today.

About 20 or so years ago my kidney function was at 80%. I just figured it
was part of my future since I had expected all this stuff when dx'd. I was
told regularly by *cheer-me-uppers* that they had an aunt who had DM, had
both legs cut off, but dead now. My lot in life was slowly revealed to me
over time - I thought. I began pumping 19 years ago (8/23) and it was such a
new treatment at the time not all the tweaking of today's knowledge was
available. Looking back, I should have requested a nephrologist then. I
didn't until I got to 35% - 8 years ago. I am now on dialysis. Avoid it!!!

My 2 pregnancies (10 mos. 14 days apart) were during the one-shot-a-day of
NPH/Reg, a BG test at the dr's office or lab once every 1-3 mos.  My babies
were born with Hyaline Membrane Disease - what the Kennedy baby died from
(my 2nd one almost died) but today they are both healthy adults (40 & 41). I
truly envy those who can have a *somewhat* normal pregnancy and delivery as
I was extremely miserable and almost had a nervous breakdown being
overburdened with DM and 2 very small babies (errr - *young*, first one was
10#). The 3 of us cried all day long for 3 mos.  Becoming a Tupperware
dealer saved my sanity.

I guess the end result that I want to say is, with today's techniques, home
BGs, Humalog/Novolog, pumps, CDEs, carb counting, and general up-to-date
knowledge, chances are excellent you'll live a long life that is much better
off than in recent years. Even non-DMers can experience a myriad of

Do remember, there are NO guarantees in life - no one could guarantee one
would not get DM and no one can guarantee one will not get complications.
Please, do not live your life in fear - that can be very crippling as well.

You may regret never having gotten to Italy, but there's no need to "mourn"
the loss of "Italy" when there is so much beauty to enjoy in Holland! -
Renee (Melissa's
pump mom)