Re: [IP] Re: DKA

I feel the same way.  No child should have to deal with feeling that way to
begin with, it's awful... and these people want to make the kid go to school on
top of it?  No way.  Anyway, not only do people in that condition need to be
monitored, they should drink fluids constantly to flush the ketones and will be
going to the restroom constantly.  If I actually start vomiting when I have
high bg's and ketones I go to the hospital.  Maybe the school doesn't
understand how serious it is and thinks it is just another kid trying to get
out of school.  Could you get a doctor's note saying if there are high bg's and
ketones, regardless of vomiting, the child should be excused from school?  They
could keep it on file.  Someone needs to explain to the school people just how
serious that situation is.  How would the school feel if you sent the child in
and they couldn't monitor themselves and get the bg's and ketones down, and
then something serious happened?  You could sue them with the right lawyer.
Some people wonder why I stay home from work in that same situation- no flu or
regular cold, no vomiting, so they don't understand what's wrong.  They think
I'm just staying home for the fun of it.  Thank goodness I have an
understanding boss.