[IP] Re: DKA

<<<From: maverickmom <email @ redacted>:
I treat ketones aggressively with Shannon .....It seems like an awful
lot of insulin to give a child.........she doesn't typically drop low from
it. I
check her often when she has ketones so I would be able
to catch and fix that if it looked like it were
happening. ......I always give an injection with
ketones because I don't want to mess around - I want to
be *sure* she got the insulin.>>>
Susan replies:  That's sort of what I do also, just that Cory's formula is a
little different.  In light of the fact that the child has to be monitored
closely during this time, would you send her or leave her at school if she
were in this condition?  I personally feel the child needs to be home so that
they can be closely monitored, but I've been told that unless he is vomitting
he needs to remain at school.  I'm afraid to give him that much extra insulin
and leave him at school or anywhere else unless I know for a fact he will get
very close supervison by someone who knows how to handle this.  He usually
isn't feeling too well when he has large ketones.
Susan S.