[IP] Re: iDKA

> We were told by our endo team to correct for ketones by taking 1.5 times the
> correction dose for moderate ketones and 2 times (twice the amount) the
> correction dose for large.

That could certainly be a large amount of insulin for ketones.  Cory takes 1
unit for every 50 pts. he is over 140 plus 1 unit for small ketos, 2 for med
and 3 for large.  For simplicity I am going to change that to 150 here
instead of using the 140.  According to Cory's endo if his b/s read 400 and
he had large ketones he would need 10 units of insulin.  He's 350 points over
his correction reading so that divided by the correction factor of 50 = 7.
Then he needs 3 units for large ketones so add that to the 7 for the
correction and you come up with 10 units.  Now according to your endo's plan
he would need a lot more.  If we used the same correction factor for highs,
he would still need 7 units for that but then take that times 2 would equal
14 and add the ketone correction and the high correction and you now have 21
units.  I can't imagine jumping Cory's correction from 14 - 21.  He would be
severly hypo!  YMMV though.