Re: [IP] necrobiosis

Ok, this is long, so if you're not interesed in NLD, you may not want to

I, too have NLD - It developed on my left foot from a "granulary anoma" (sp?
- ring of bumps under the skin). I had the "granulary anomas" all over, but
only the one on my left foot turned into an NLD sore. That was about 3 yrs
after I was diagnosed with diabetes at age 17. Shortly after the one on my
foot showed up, two more popped up on my right leg - both small ones
compared to the pictures I saw on the links sent out earlier. One of the
ones on my right leg healed completely, and has left no evidence it was ever
there. The one on my left foot has mostly healed with only a slightly red
and scar-like area left. The remaining one on my right leg is still there,
and changes little from year to year. Two years ago, I saw a dermatoligst,
and he gave me shots of steroid right into the sore (OUCH!). It didn't seem
to change anything, and the dermatoligist said there was nothing he could do
- that it might go away with better DM control (A1C wa 8.2 at the time - not
toooo bad) Last summer, I was dumb enough to get a sunburn on that very
spot. It hurt badly for three days - like a real burn from a hot stove - and
as it healed up, it decreased in size by about 10%, and has not grown or
been painful since. That is my personal experience, please do not try to get
a sunburn - I was very lucky that it did not make things worse.

More than ever, YMMV.

I am also frustrated by doctor's lack of knowledge on this (yes, I
understand they're only human and can't know everything about everything).
Some doctors seem to have never heard of it before, others just seem to
write it off as no big deal, and still others say that this is a classic
case, and do I mind if they bring in their junior associates to use me as an
example - none offer any help or any action that can be taken.

As I get tigther control (A1c two months ago - pre-pump 6.8), I do notice
the surface of the sore getting more "skin-like" - perhaps the tighter
control and apparent improvement are just conicidental. I hope that this one
will decide to go away.

Sorry so long, but I've always felt alone and embarassed about NLD. Its good
to know I'm not the only one dealing with NLD. I love this List!!!!!(lump in
my throat)

Type 1 7 years, pumping 2 months with "Buzz" the pardigm