[IP] Virus jdbgmgr.exe is a hoax

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:13:57 -0500
From: "Julie Keesey" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Virus

Hello everyone:

I received an email that I accidentally deleted so I can't give you
specifics of it, but apparently I was sent a virus that affects everyone in
my address book.  I checked and did have the virus, so apparently that means
you do too.  It needs to be deleted within a certain number of days (14?).
Here's how:

Go to start and use the Find or Search option.
In the files/folder option, write the name:  jdbgmgr.exe
Be sure you search your C: drive
Click "find now"
The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe - DO NOT OPEN!!!
Delete it there (by right clicking) and in your recycle bin as well.

Hope this makes sense - sorry for the inconvenience!

From:  Gale Pinckney
email @ redacted

I got this information from the Symantec page.  They make Norton Utilities.
This "virus" is a hoax.  Ignore it.

Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax

Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding
this hoax. It is harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern.
Type: Hoax

This is a hoax that, like the SULFNBK.EXE Warning hoax, tries to persuade you
to delete a legitimate Windows file from your computer. The file that the hoax
refers to, Jdbgmgr.exe, is a Java Debugger Manager. It is a Microsoft file
that is installed when you install Windows.

It has a teddy bear icon as described in the hoax:

CAUTION: Jdbgmgr.exe, like any file, can become infected by a virus. One virus
in particular, email @ redacted, targets this file. Norton AntiVirus has
provided protection against email @ redacted since May 11, 2001.

NOTE: If you have already deleted the Jdbgmgr.exe file, some Java applets may
not run correctly. This is not a critical system file. The file version may
vary with your operating system and version of Internet Explorer. If you want
to restore the file, read the instructions in the How to restore the
Jdbgmgr.exefile section at the end of this document.

Hoax message
This hoax has appeared in several languages. Some are as follows:

I found the little bear in my machine because of that I am sending this
message in order for you to find it in your machine. The procedure is very

The objective of this e-mail is to warn all Hotmail users about a new virus
that is spreading by MSN Messenger. The name of this virus is jdbgmgr.exe and
it is sent automatically by the Messenger and by the address book too. The
virus is not detected by McAfee or Norton and it stays quiet for 14 days
before damaging the system.

The virus can be cleaned before it deletes the files from your system. In
order to eliminate it, it is just necessary to do the following steps:
1. Go to Start, click "Search"
2.- In the "Files or Folders option" write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3.- Be sure that you are searching in the drive "C"
4.- Click "find now"
5.- If the virus is there (it has a little bear-like icon with the name of
6.- Right click and delete it (it will go to the Recycle bin)
7.- Go to the recycle bin and delete it or empty the recycle bin.