Re: [IP] DKA

Just a small clarification here before I get flamed :)
...I said previously that our endo said that most
people nowadays have never experienced DKA...he meant
since bg monitors and better management techniques came
along in the last couple of decades (I imagine it was
much more commonplace before that time when you had
little to no info to go on.) He also said some 70-80%
of new dx are caught before DKA occurs.

I passed this on a while ago but here is a helpful page
that clarifies the terms DKA, ketosis, etc to help
understand the differences better.:

Ketone Bodies
Chemicals that the body makes when there is not enough
insulin in the blood and it must break down fat for its

energy. Ketone bodies can poison and even kill body
cells. When the body does not have the help of insulin,

the ketones build up in the blood and then "spill" over

into the urine so that the body can get rid of them.
The body can also rid itself of one type of ketone,
called acetone, through the lungs. This gives the
breath a fruity odor. Ketones that build up in the body

for a long time lead to serious illness and coma. See
also: Diabetic ketoacidosis.

Having ketone bodies in the urine; a warning sign of
diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

A condition of having ketone bodies build up in body
tissues and fluserids. The signs of ketosis are nausea,

vomiting, and stomach pain. Ketosis can lead to

Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA)
Severe, out-of-control diabetes (high blood sugar) that

needs emergency treatment. DKA happens when blood sugar

levels get too high. This may happen because of
illness, taking too little insulin, or getting too
little exercise. The body starts using stored fat for
energy, and ketone bodies (acids) build up in the
blood. Ketoacidosis starts slowly and builds up. The
signs include nausea and vomiting, which can lead to
loss of water from the body, stomach pain, and deep and

rapid breathing. Other signs are a flushed face, dry
skin and mouth, a fruity breath odor, a rapid and weak
pulse, and low blood pressure. If the person is not
given fluserids and insulin right away, ketoacidosis
can lead to coma and even death