Re: [IP] DKA

In a message dated 7/28/02 9:28:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I now know to check for ketones and do it
> anytime I'm over 240!!

     There is another often-overlooked component to this rule which I had
never heard until this past year: anytime you are repatedly vomiting, even if
the bgs are NORMAL, an ER visit is critical!! I know of a 26 yr old who was
found unconscious in her apt. because she too thought she had the flu, didn't
have high bgs, so never checked for ketones.
    I also heard another story in which a 7 yr old on a pump was vomiting
repeatedly, but since her bgs weren't high, her mom never gave ketones a
thought. In a matter of a few hours, she was rushed to the ER because her
apperance & manner altered so radically. Her dad told me  that the IV
solution was changed every 30 minutes, as the nurses changed the contents to
adjust for "rebalancing" her out of balance electrolytes, etc. Not sure I
explained the medical specifics precisely, BUT the message is clear: diabetes
& repeated vomiting which precludes taking in any fluids ( as opposed to one
time) is a MAJOR red flag.
Renee (pump mom to Melissa)