Re: [IP] DKA

I had DKA only once and can tell you..........I don't want it again and try
to stay much too low not only  only the severity of it, but I never want to
be that sick again!!

I thought I had gotten the stomach flu at first - when that happens, I tend
to lock myself in the bedroom and tell my family I'll see them in a day or
two.      That's exactly what I did and my husband ended up breaking down the
door when I'd answer questions he asked in a stupor.     I couldn't breathe
very well, fast, short asthma-sounding breaths.      The first doctor my
husband took me to ordered a chest X-ray then sent me home!!!!!!      My
husband took me to ER that night where I was admitted to the ICU.      I
should add, that back then I also didn't test (urine sometimes), so I had no
idea I was high.     Since I was so violently ill, too, I didn't take the
insulin I should have thinking that since I wasn't eating, I probably didn't
need it.      Believe me.........I've learned and am much smarter and test
much more often than I need to now!!!       When I was admitted to the ICU I
was so dehydrated they couldn't even find a vein for an IV.     My blood
sugar was just over 800.       I now know to check for ketones and do it
anytime I'm over 240!!       Please, please please don't let me ever get that
sick again!!!