[IP] Re: Wal-Mart case and pharmacies

All of this reminds me of why I refuse to use large chain pharmacies. Been
there done that and it's awful, apparently for the employee as well as the
customer. Almost every time I would fill a diabetes-related prescription at a
large chain there would be a problem...out of the item, bogus insurance
problem, blah, blah, blah.
The only value of a large chain is the hours. I'm happy to work around my
independent pharmacy's shorter hours in order to have decent service and to
have the peace of mind that I'll actually get what I need when I need it.
There are many other reasons I refuse to go to Wal-Mart, but those are for a
different message board ;-)
Of course, YMMV on all of this.
dxed IDDM 9/92, pumping since 1/02

In a message dated 7/27/02 9:43:24 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< > Does it mean that this person was the
> only person on the clock for the whole day including over the lunch hour in
> the pharmacy?  It seems to me that even in small pharmacies there are often
> at least two, and anywhere there's a Wal-Mart there's bound to be high
> customer traffic and therefore many pharmacists???

Don't count on it!!  Many retail pharmacies only have two pharmacists period,
and in many chains there is MINIMAL (I mean maybe 1/2 to 1 hour 2 or 3 days a
week tops) of overlap shifts.  That is one of the main reasons that I chose
to get out of retail pharmacy in the early nineties.  Working for a major
chain, I would be the only pharmacist there whenever the other pharmacist had
days off and vice versa.  And the pharmacy being open 12 and 1/2 hours a
day.....well you get the picture. >>