[IP] Some might say a small "miracle"

Hi all,
This morning, we sat down and figured that with the insulin Hubby averages
now vs. just before he started pumping, he's taking (are you ready?) 41.5%
less!!!!  At first, we said, "Nah, that can't be right," refigured, and it
is.  Not only that, his a1c has been steadily improving from the last
pre-pump of 8.5 to one 3 weeks ago of 7.0 (for him, this is outstanding-read
When finally got Hubby to an endo vs. internist about 5 years after
diagnosis, first a1c was 14+.   Internist had relied on the ol' once a month
in the office test.   First endo did a1c immediately, started Hubby on home
glucose monitoring (yeah, the strips where you'd compare the color change to
the chart on the side of the container; soon followed by using a glucose
monitor), then referred Hubby to the "big guns", and really made efforts to
get Hubby "under control" like using MDI, having him use Humalog as soon as
it was available, but pumping wasn't really considered, not to mention that
Medicare didn't start covering pumps until just a few years ago.
Shortly after our retirement move south, Hubby's new PCP here posed the idea
of pumping, and referred Hubby to an endo who does this. The new endo felt
Hubby'd do better on a pump than trying Lantus.  Now, for those who don't
know or recall, Hubby puzzled many an endo, even "hot shots" at major
diabetes centers because of how he responds to insulins.  U would last
24-30+ hrs often, Lantus not yet "invented" (but given what we've
read/heard, don't think it would have helped like pumping),  L = ucky (not
lucky), and N always had uneven absorption, but was the lesser of the
"evils".  Blood sugar swings happened unbelievably so often he'd keep
glucose levels higher than should've to try to prevent the out-of-the-blue
hypo, EMT's on first name basis.  But since really adjusting to pumping
(Hubby was on a "90 day" trial @ first because of initial difficulties on
his part, but after 6 wks Ace became his best friend), and now:
     No major hypos, and the minor ones are treated so-o-o easily (have run
into EMT's in the stores who've said, "We were wondering what happened to
you!", and Hubby explains his sidekick, Ace)
    Any really high readings readily accounted for (like not doing a
bolus-yeah, too comfortable with a pump so you "forget" it's there when you
have that extra treat, then, oops, but only happened twice; and once,
infusion set came loose, but tried to make it 'til morning 'cause it'll be
changed then"-not fun doing one @ bedtime though so lesson learned)
    Food choices and time = freedom!
    Plus, not taking 4-7+ injections a day.
    Basal rates, basal rates, basal rates-yipee!
So, guess you could say pumping definitely is great for him!
Needless to say, Hubby's floating on air today, and wanted to share what he
counts as his blessing with all of you.
Marj; Mike (I'm not into computers, but glad to be on this list); and "Ace,
the PP" (portable pancreas)