Re: [IP] Re: Diabetes Found Not to Be a Disability

In a message dated 7/26/2002 2:33:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Does it mean that this person was the
> only person on the clock for the whole day including over the lunch hour in
> the pharmacy?  It seems to me that even in small pharmacies there are often
> at least two, and anywhere there's a Wal-Mart there's bound to be high
> customer traffic and therefore many pharmacists???

Don't count on it!!  Many retail pharmacies only have two pharmacists period,
and in many chains there is MINIMAL (I mean maybe 1/2 to 1 hour 2 or 3 days a
week tops) of overlap shifts.  That is one of the main reasons that I chose
to get out of retail pharmacy in the early nineties.  Working for a major
chain, I would be the only pharmacist there whenever the other pharmacist had
days off and vice versa.  And the pharmacy being open 12 and 1/2 hours a
day.....well you get the picture.  Since it was a mall store, at Christmas
time was even worse because you would have extended hours that meant when you
started your couple of days you'd have to go in one afternoon, work until 11
at night, open again at 7 or 8, be there until 11pm, then open the next
morning and work until the other RP came in that day in the late afternoon.
If it was the weekend, you also had Sunday hours thrown in there too!

Most major chains hire their pharmacists as salaried employees, which gets
them out of having to follow the laws that require breaks every so many
hours, it also means they can make you work overtime with out extra pay, but
if you happened to need to leave an hour or two early one day, they could
still dock your pay even though over the course of a year you built up major
amounts of overtime with no pay!  And if they couldn't find anyone to cover
the other pharmacist's vacation week, guess what....you had no choice but to
work the entire week of 12 and 1/2 day shifts with NO breaks or time off at

aka Mouse