[IP] Help Further Cancer research and hopefully Diabetes Research soon

Hello Everyone I am just writing to let everyone know where the Insulin
Pumpers Team stands on the United Devices "THINK" program for cancer research.

Here's our current Stats:

Out of almost 17,000 teams on the research project we are at:

# 420 for total Members  (we are loosing ground here so please join)
# 294 for total results returned
# 199 for total CPU time (currently at 33 years, 211 days, 06 hours, 02
Minutes, and 40 seconds)

GOOD WORK EVERYONE!!! For those of you that are new to the this or have not
seen one of the messages on the Cancer research program here is a little
info on the program and its potential future. The "THINK" program is
sponsored by Intel, Oxford, United Devices as well as several others. THINK
is a drug discovery software program. The program appraises each of
hundreds of millions of molecules to see if they are likely to interact
with a target protein. THINK calculates and studies the many possible
shapes, or conformers, the molecule might adopt interacting with the
protein. This process is called virtual screening of the molecules. While
companies in the past have used super computers to do these calculations
there is no super computer in the world today that can match the power and
speed that has been accomplished by using a network of home computers and
that is where we all come in.

Participants in the Intel-United Devices Cancer Research Project are sent a
unit of molecules over the Internet. Their PC will analyze the molecules
using drug-design software called THINK. The THINK software analyzes the
molecular data by creating a three-dimensional model and changing its shape
(or conformation) to attempt to dock it into a protein site. When a
conformation docks successfully and triggers an interaction with the
protein, it registers as a "hit". These hits are what this research hinges
on. Any one hit may be the one that will ultimately lead to a cure. All
hits are recorded, ranked as to strength, and filed for the next stage of
the project. Here is a news clipping which has my hopes up for us: The
leukemia drug-optimization program is the first to be offered by Intel.

Many more programs will be developed for research on diseases from
Parkinson's to diabetes.

The ADA has just started to use UD's Platform and hopefully they will start
to use it just like the Cancer research program in the near future.

If you would like to Join the Insulin-Pumpers Team please go here:

http://www.geocities.com/tizwit/cancer.htm This site has some instructions
on how to join our team as well as links to more info and our team site.

Here is a link directly to our team page.

http://members.ud.com/home.htm Here is a link directly to the main Page of
the UD/ THINK site.

Those of you who know the email @ redacted project already know the idea behind
"shared computing", but for those not familiar, there is this from the UD
Cancer Research website:

"There is no cost to participate and no impact on your computer use. The
project software cannot detect or transfer anything on your machine but
project-specific information. It just allows your computer to screen
molecules that may be developed into drugs to fight cancer. Each individual
computer analyzes a few molecules and then sends the results back over the
Internet for further research. The goal is to enlist enough volunteers to
provide very rich and thorough results to the University of Oxford for
further research. This project is anticipated to be the largest
computational chemistry project ever undertaken and represents a genuine
hope to find a better way to fight cancer. "

If you have any Questions please feel free to write to me privately please.