[IP] Re: At home A1C

In a message dated 7/23/02 7:08:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Since most of us don't have an easy way to know what the average is
> without guessing too much, an A1C is the best way.  What it is basically
> (and pardon my medical ignorance here) is the number of hemoglobin attached
> to the red blood cells in the sample of blood drawn....when bg levels are
> high, hemoglobin attaches to red blood cells.

Is the above explanation accurate?  I thought hemoglobin was the protein in
the red blood cells that carries oxygen and that when BG levels are high,
sugar attaches to the hemoglobin.  Even without a high, the red blood cell
would still have hemoglobin.

Please excuse me for sounding nit-picky, but I'm just wanting to know if the
hemoglobin actually increases with high BGs or just the amount of sugar
attached to the hemoglobin?

Pam M.