[IP] Post Surgery report

THANKS to the pump, Cory did not have to stay in the hospital for his
surgery.  He had a pyogenic granuloma (vascular tumor) removed from the
bottom of his thumb.  His surgeon was going to admit him the night prior to
surgery due to the diabetes and even when Cory was in recovery, the surgeon
said he may have to stay overnight.  Cory's endo is in another city so the
surgeon asked the head of the endo dept. at this hospital to oversee Cory's
diabetes management during surgery.  I'm not sure I totally agree with the
way it was managed, but it went real well.  Cory was 116 when he checked into
the outpatient surgery dept. at 8 AM.  We finally convinced the receptionest
that Cory was supposed to get his IV started immediately just in case he
suffered a hypo episode.  He was already at the NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK
stage.  Surgery was at noon. The endo had us reduce the basal by .1 and he
had an IV with a 5% glucose solution started.  He also ordered glucose tests
be done every hour.  Cory's b/s steadily climbed -- 130 - 147 - 167 to 198 at
post op.  As soon as Cory got out of recovery, I gave him a correction bolus
and set his basal back to his pre surgery setting.  Then I gave him a diet 7
UP (that I had brought from home -- not taking any chances here LOL), and
within an hour he was back down to 120 and had that glucose IV removed!  I'm
so very grateful that he had the pump so his blood sugar was easy to manage.
And I'm grateful that he had an endo, surgeon and anesthelogist who were
willing to work wtih the pump right through surgery and recovery. I don't
understand why they had to do the glucose drip -- have it on stand by yes -
but use it?-- I trust they had their reasons.  I also wonder why he also
apparently had an IV in his foot.  Whatever happened there, be it IV or
something else was done after he went into the operating room. He had an IV
his right arm for the glucose and he had surgery on the left thumb so guess
they couldn't put an IV there. In the operating room, Cory said they put the
anesthesia in the IV that was in his arm - said they put three injections in
it.  No one told me he had an IV in his foot but he had a large bandaid with
a big piece of gauze under it.  I will ask about it when he goes back to have
the stitches removed.  Makes you wonder what goes on behind closed doors.  LOL
Ok this was windy but my point is that for anyone considering pump therapy,
this is one thing to explore.  And for insurance companies that are nervous
about the cost of pumping -- look how much was saved on this hospital and
surgery bill!
Susan S