[IP] Prednisone and Shingles- Help!

I can't  believe this is happening to me!!  I'm 30years old and two days ago
started getting a cold sore on my lip (too much sun exposure- I'm one of
unfortunates who have gotten cold sores since childhood).....At the same
I starting having this intense pain/itchiness on my forehead.  A day later I
have developed an eruption on my left side of my forehead- puffy, red, and
blistered.  And does it hurt!!
The doctor says it's shingles and wants me to start on high dose prednisone
prevent postherpetic neuralgia (lingering pain in the affected area that can
last for months/years after the sores have healed).  I am so scared at what
expect with the steroids and my blood sugars.  Thank goodness for the
pump.....but I'm still scared.
Anyone to give words of advise?
Seek an opinion from another doctor and take Valtrex. Prednisone is
containdicated in your case and does nothing for post-herpetic neuralgia.
For the pain, Emla might be useful. Also Elavil. Once you have post herpetic
neualgia it is difficult to treat.In fact, Prednisone can put you into DKA,
pump or no pump. If  you can, seek help from a doctor trained in pain
management.  You might need a procedure to destroy the nerves from that area
of your face If the pain is intolerable.This can be done thru the lip and
cheek by a neurosurgeon or neurologist.you can e-mail me directly if you
have questions. spot
A. L. Bender, M. D.