Re: [IP] Advice needed!

> Now, my dilemna:  I applied as a transfer student to the university in
> the town where I have started my new life and they have denied my
> application because of my low average. I know that if I got in I could be
> an honour student. I've adjusted to life with diabetes and my pump has
> made all of the difference in the world but I just need the chance to
> prove it.  Is it legitimate of me to blame the majority of my academic
> shortcomings on my diabetes? I want to get into school but I also don't
> like using my disease as an excuse. I'm hoping that if I explain what
> I've gone through in the past four years I might get a chance.  Any
> suggestions or comments? Sara Molyneaux

Sorry about these circumstances. Dealing with DM is not living like the
students who don't have that additional burden. DM *is* a reason for your
non-performance. Someone needs to hear your side of the story as we are
individuals and it should be a case-by-case consideration.

In the fall of '89 ( I graduated H.S. '57) I was seeking out a writing group
for input on a book I was writing. Within 1.5 hrs after calling a person
whom I thought could give me info, I was enrolled in our local liberal arts
college! It was 32 years *after* I had been in school, but they made an
exception for me and allowed me to be in two writing classes that were for
only college juniors and seniors. I had no other *upper* training during
that time other than some one-time seminars. Therefore, I believe you have a
good fighting chance at achieving your goals.

Best to you, dear - and let us know. (~_^)

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain