Re: [IP]Advice needed!

I was diagnosed at 19, too, 1 week before the start of my 2nd year of college
(and thanked my lucky stars that it took another year to be accepted into the
intense architecture program). I, fortunately, still don't have thyroid
issues, but Mom does, so I'm waiting for that shoe to drop.
I completely understand your desire not to use Diabetes as an excuse for
anything, but it is a condition that always requires special consideration.
Usually, it's just by us - it scares me to think how much I could accomplish
if 1/2 my brain wasn't constantly assessing my physical well-being,
calculating carbs and insulin ratios, and guessing what's coming next.
Sometimes, though, others must accommodate our needs. You might start by going
to the old university's disabled student office (I have no idea what it would
really be titled, but there's got to be either a student-run advocacy office,
or a university office set up to handle special accommodations of ALL kinds,
maybe both). They might help you get some of the failed courses dropped from
your transcript. This may or may not be enough for the new school. If not, or
if the old U. won't change things retroactively, try a similar office at the
new school. If you explain what happened, show them evidence of your
honor-award winning work prior to diagnosis, and suggest a plan for getting
back into the routine of college life, they might be able to help you get past
the standardized admissions desk. You may not be able to transfer as many
credits as you'd like, but you should be able to carry a lot of them with you.
Having been through some bureaucratic nightmares myself, my primary advice to
you is to let other people do as much work for you as possible. You'll have to
call to check up on them all the time, but if other people can make the most
upsetting phone calls, it will reduce the stress you need to deal with. Also,
let your friends support you. Whether just by making you laugh, letting you
cry or listening to you vent, they will be a significant factor in keeping you
emotionally healthy through all this.
Stick with it. You'll get what you want, it might just take longer than is
Good luck!
Heather & Righteous Babe
dx'd 9/90, pumping since 4/10/01