Re: [IP] Re:Life Insurance for a 16 year old pumper

 My Husband is 55 and has been a diabetic since 15 years old.  He is not on a
 > pump.  When we bought a house 15 years ago we got life insurance for on
him.
 > Needless to say it wasn't inexpensive.  Now I am being told he is
 > uninsurable.  So to make the story short, rather than have this happen to
my
 > son as an adult, I decided to get a policy on him now so he could just
 > continue to pay it when he is an adult, but atleast he would have
something.

 > Now I don;t know if this a part of the factor, it is a new agent, but even
 > though they carry a policy on his pump, they didn't seem to get it that he
is
 > a Type 1 or why pump????.  They came back again and asked if he was
insulin
 > dependent and the policy went from $990 to $1790 a year.  (This is State
 > Farm) Everything they are saying seems to relate that the pump is
triggering
 > something that is taking to a "Level 10" and in atleast one conversation
they
 > stated if he wasn't on the pump it would be less. The trigger doesn't not
 > seem to be type one or type 2.  I keep trying to tell them they have it
 > backward, being on a pump doesn't mean his diabetes is more severe, but
that
 > we striving to keep much better control.  This is better from an insurance
 > point of view not worse.  Then I was told that the amount could change,
but
 > they had to see his medical records first.  I told him it is hard to say
yes
 > or no to something when I can't get a very good feel for a "How much."
 >
 > Have any of you tried to get insurance for your children while they are in
 > good control and so they will have a better chance a decent rates?
 > Any other companies I should try?  Types of policies?

We also tried to get life insurance for our soon to be 16 year old son
through State Farm.  It was so expensive (they said he was a level 9/12, I
think).  We felt it wasn't worth the money.  They didn't understand diabetes
either.  My agent said some stupid things and I'll never look at her with the
same respect.  She said that the mortality rate is higher as teens and that
if his diet gets better then the yearly rate may go down when he's 21.  What
does she know about his diet?  She said some other ridiculous things as well.
 People who don't know what they're talking about really should zip their
mouth!
     Marilyn